The Milky Way photo Tips:
1. Look at sky report, try to avoid moon, eg, Sky Report in Southern Cal: http://www.griffithobs.org/skyreport.html
2. Avoid city, find dark place.
3. Use some apps on the phone/computer to identify stars: Stellarium, Startracker,.etc
4.DSLR,Tripod,Shutter Release. Use wide angle: 24mm, 14mm,.etc
Then ->Compose photo->Mirror Lock up->Shutter Release(Or self-timer)
5. Manual mode, set manual focus (MF) to infinity or far away
set 30 sec exposure time
Use max aperture available: f/2.8 f/1.4 .,etc
ISO: if F/1.4 -> 1600 if F/2.8 -> 6400
6. Set White balance to Tungsten (try around 4000k) or adjust later in photoshop. Also increasing contrast.
Star Trail tips:
1.Using the above method to get multiple shoots, eg: 100 shoots. (It’s better to point at the North Star) Use some shutter release cable, or use the camera build-in interval shooting function(if have).
2. Using Photoshop: File->Scripts->Load files into stack
3. choose all the layers and set “Layer Blending options” to “lighten”
3. Adjust other parameters as you like.
The Milky way: